Avoid Dental Nightmares – Know Your Emergency Routine
Anyone who works in emergency dentistry will tell you that timing is the most critical factor in saving a tooth after an accident or injury. During a crisis, the fate of your tooth is partially in your hands. Emergencies can happen at any time, including nights and weekends when it’s more difficult to obtain help. However, as soon as the event occurs, it’s important to call your dentist’s after-hours emergency dentistry number or get to a hospital emergency room as soon as possible.
4 Tips from Emergency Dentists
- If a permanent adult tooth is knocked out, be sure to keep it moist. Try to place the tooth back in its socket without touching its root. If this is impossible, store it between your cheek and gums, or place it in milk. Get to your dentist’s office as soon as possible.
- For broken or cracked teeth, rinse your mouth with warm water to remove debris. If swelling is present, apply a cold compress, and see your dentist promptly.
- For tongue, lip, and cheek bites, clean the area carefully with water and use a cold compress to reduce pain and swelling. If you are bleeding heavily, seek emergency care.
- For a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water, and use dental floss to carefully remove any food or foreign objects lodged between your teeth. Don’t put aspirin on your teeth or gums, and don’t try to remove an object from your teeth with a sharp instrument. If the pain persists, see your dentist in South Philadelphia as soon as you can.
Avoiding Dental Emergencies
- Avoid biting into ice or chewing hard candies, popcorn kernels, and other hard foods, which can cause your teeth to crack.
- Never use your teeth to cut things or open bottle caps. Use scissors or bottle openers instead.
- Always wear a custom-made or boil-and-bite mouth guard during sports activities.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue today at (215) 310-5817 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Philadelphia. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue.