Seal Up Healthy Teeth with Dental Sealants
If you want protection from tooth decay, dental sealants may save your smile. A teeth sealant seals out tooth decay to keep your teeth in top condition. Since many people have concerns about dental sealants, we’ve answered the five most common questions.
1. What is a teeth sealant? Dental sealants are barely visible plastic coatings that are applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prevent food particles from getting trapped in teeth and causing problems, protecting children and teens from tooth decay. It is best if a teeth sealant is applied to newly erupted teeth before decay can do any damage.
2. Do dental sealants eliminate the need for fluoride protection? Fluoride will still be required to prevent tooth decay. Sealants and fluoride work together to help prevent tooth decay in different ways. But total tooth protection requires fluoride, daily brushing and flossing, regular dental care, and healthy food choices.
3. Is it better to seal teeth early or wait to fill cavities? Prevention is the best protection and dental sealants protect teeth from the start to save you time, money, and the pain in the end.
4. What is the procedure for applying dental sealants? Applying a teeth sealant is a short, simple, and painless procedure. The tooth is cleaned, and then a special gel is put onto the chewing surface for a few moments. Once the gel is rinsed away, the tooth is dried and then covered with a coating of the dental sealant. In a matter of minutes, the sealant forms a protective shield and the process is complete.
5. How long will dental sealants last? Sealants usually last for five to ten years, but should be regularly checked by a dentist. They can be reapplied if they start to diminish.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in South Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue today at (215) 310-5817 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Philadelphia. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Oregon Avenue.